Discover our levels, expert training, and work experience programs.
Find out about our research.
Advanced Instrumentation and Tech Centre
AITC supports the growth associated with the generation that is next of for astronomy and room technology.
RSAA runs its research telescopes when you look at the Mount Stromlo Observatory and Siding Spring Observatories.
Find our individuals associates and find out about their pages.
Information & activities
Check out the college’s latest news and activities.
Find out about the School’s history, leadership and partnerships.
Please support our research and public outreach
Make contact with us.
You’re right here
Wide-Field Spectrograph (WiFeS)
WiFeS can be an integral-field, or imaging, spectrograph, and therefore it records a spectrum from each pixel of this area that is imaged. WiFeS had been created and built at RSAA and set up in the 2.3m telescope in might 2009. The style attracts upon the history of both the RSAA’s Dual-Beam Spectrograph (DBS), therefore the concentric image-slicer concept associated with Near-infrared Integral-Field Spectrograph (NIFS) that has been produced by RSAA for the Gemini Observatory.
WiFeS is made to deliver as much spectra that is simultaneous feasible over a consistent area associated with the sky, each covering since wide a spectral range as you are able to. It runs over the complete optical wavelength range. Two split digital digital cameras are accustomed to record the spectra, each optimised for the specific section of this wavelength range. More details about spectroscopy and exactly how WiFeS works can be seen in the content WiFeS and also the art work of spectroscopy.
WiFeS has been useful for a range that is wide of applications, including:
- Findings of enigmatic, extremely remote Gamma-Ray Bursts
- Studies of old movie stars within our Galaxy that may offer details about just exactly exactly how it absolutely was put together
- Studies of mass being ejected from young movie stars which are nevertheless being created consequently they are comparable to our Sun, to know just exactly exactly how planets form
- Dimensions associated with internal motions in galaxies to find black colored holes within their cores and matter that is dark their external components
- Studies for the motions of gasoline around remote quasars and radio galaxies. Continue reading Analysis class of Astronomy & Astrophysics. Basic requirements