After a record amount of complaints, a Paddy Power ad that featured alleged murderer Oscar Pistorius will be pulled.
After fielding an archive 5,200 complaints, Irish bookmaker Paddy Power has been forced to pull an offensive ad from its UK publications, since well as being investigated by the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). The ad which many felt at best trivialized the current and ongoing murder trial of Paralympian Oscar Pistorius, and at worst exploited it for profit was ordered down previously this week by the ASA after being overwhelmed with input from horrified citizens.
Making Light of Pistorius Murder Trial
The print advertisement which had starred in the UK press recently, as well as on the Paddy energy website and social networking feeds offered odds on the results of the trial stating:
‘IT’S OSCAR TIME. CASH BACK IF HE WALKS. WE WILL REFUND ALL LOSING BETS ON THE OSCAR PISTORIUS TRIAL IF HE COULD BE FOUND NOT GUILTY.’
Pistorius’ face appeared photoshopped onto an Oscar statuette a mention of the recently aired Academy Awards, which were held in Los Angeles since the murder trial got underway in South Africa. According to over 122,000 signatories of a online petition, however, Pistorius’ girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp’s alleged murder in February 2013 at the fingers of her boyfriend should not be any matter that is laughing.
‘A young woman has been killed,’ said Jean Hatchet, organizer of the alteration.org petition. ‘There ‘s no doubt that she was killed by this man, whether or not he intended to kill her.’ The Paddy Power advertising, she says, is ‘an incredibly awful, callous thing.’
The ASA said it would publish its findings and proffer any sanctions in due course. Meanwhile, the corporation was clear in its disdain for the message.
‘We consider the ad may be really prejudicial to your public that is general the ground associated with the likely further serious and/or widespread offence it may cause,’ noted an ASA-issued statement that was released by the center of week. ‘we have been also concerned that the reputation that is good of advertising industry may be further damaged by continued publication with this advertisement.’
Paddy Power noted that the print campaign was only meant to perform together with the other day’s Oscars anyway, and claimed it only ran once in A uk paper sunday. A look at the site by late this week showed no trace of the ad whatsoever, nor any mention of its existence ever although the ASA said the Ireland-based company’s website was out of its jurisdiction. A search for the company’s website’s betting options additionally unveiled no matches for the word ‘Pistorius,’ though whether that indicates the bet is off is anyone’s guess.
Perhaps Not the First Offensive Ad from Paddy Energy
Paddy Power with a history of this sort of risqué marketing campaign remained defiant, but seemed to fully miss the moral dimension, telling media: ‘Trial wagering generally speaking isn’t a common incident, but there is certainly nothing new about betting on the outcome of the most high-profile court instances and they do not come any more high-profile than this. Given the rolling coverage of this trial, pretty much everyone will be speaing frankly about it and speculating on the verdict. We’re therefore anticipating some of our customers to desire to put their cash where their mouth is.’
Hatchet has requested that the earnings made from the Pistorius bet should be donated to women’s charities, to which Paddy Power retorted: ‘We’re providing wagering on the outcome of a trial. It’s about whether Pistorius are found accountable or otherwise not guilty, it isn’t a market that is betting domestic physical violence.’
It’s far from the initial of numerous Paddy Power campaigns that deliberately seeks to court controversy.
The company was when forced to pull billboard posters that showed Jesus and the Apostles gambling at the Last Supper. And in 2010, a television spot that showed a blind soccer player throwing a cat into a tree was the most complained about spot for the 12 months. The decision was also designed to pull another TV spot that featured transvestites at a competition meet, and invited its clients to ‘spot the stallions among the mares’.
Of course, Paddy Power has achieved its real objective once more: to force its brand into the papers and obtain people talking about its advertising campaigns. Nevertheless, at the same time when politicians in the UK are questioning the level of gambling ads on tv which they do say can certainly be considered by minors, this is publicity that the gambling industry could probably do without.
Junior Middleweight Champ Molina Jailed Before MGM Garden Fight Night
Current IBF Junior Middleweight champ Carlos Molina during the MGM Grand Garden Arena back on Sept. 14, 2013. Molina is hoping to be released in time for Saturday’s match against undefeated Jermall Charlo. (Image: Mark Hundley/Las Las Vegas Sun)
UPDATE March 8, 2014: Carlos Molina had not been released from Clark County Detention Center on and the Saturday MGM Grand Garden Arena fight was cancelled friday. It appears the reason that is primary because theoretically Molina is considered an illegal alien and was wanted by immigration officials, despite having lived in the U.S. since age four.
‘He’s not getting away from jail to fight, and now we don’t understand as he is getting out,’ said Warriors Boxing promoter Leon Margules in an ESPN interview. ‘It’s because of his immigration status. He is an illegal alien.’
It’s a development that has promoters and bookmakers chewing through their nails: Carlos ‘King’ Molina’s scheduled defense of their IBF junior middleweight world title battle at the MGM Grand Garden Saturday against undefeated opponent Jermall Charlo might not go ahead because Molina was still in jail awaiting launch as we went along to press on Friday’s weigh-in day.
Arrested on Outstanding Warrants
Molina was arrested soon after his press conference at the MGM Grand earlier in the week on a fugitive warrant, stemming from a 2007 parole violation for failing to register as an intercourse offender. In 2002, he was convicted of second-degree assault on a minor in Outgamie, Wisconsin.
Meanwhile, it has also emerged that Appleton, Wisconsin police have a disorderly conduct warrant out for him, dating back to 2005.
On Thursday morning, Clark County prosecutor Bart Pace agreed to set Molina’s bail at $10,000 with the agreement of Wisconsin authorities; nevertheless, as Molina’s representatives scrambled to secure their launch in time for the bout against challenger Jermall Charlo, he still needs to clear an immigration hold (he was created in Mexico, but has lived in the US since age four), and currently remains in Clark County Detention Center Las Vegas’ main holding lockdown for bad boys.
Molina’s promoter, Leon Margules, said: ‘ an agreement was made by us with Wisconsin for the fighter’s release in the sex offender enrollment violation. The immigration problem is a little more complicated. I’m still looking for exactly why Carlos is being held. I’m hopeful we could get it fixed, get him released and get him into the ring Saturday. He told me he is holding up well, but he wants to have out and he wishes to fight Saturday.’
Monday Hearing Puts Fight in Doubt
The fact that records show that his next hearing has been set for this coming Monday throws that into doubt while authorities initially said they expected the boxer to be released in time for the fight.
At a press meeting on Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, remained upbeat: ‘I’m waiting to hear from Molina’s people,’ he said thursday. ‘They’re handling all of Molina’s issues. We don’t need to make a decision in the fight before the weigh-in (Friday). But I am aware Carlos wishes to fight. He is very anxious to get in the band and he is really fired up.’
However, Schaefer revealed that, should they fail to spring the miscreant champion from his jail mobile, he includes a back-up plan: ‘Just in case, this is just for the pay-per-view audience to understand … if that fight doesn’t happen, then we’d, needless to say, have the luxury of moving up Ricardo Alvarez against Thompson to the pay-per-view card.’
While people may be covered regardless, it’s a headache that is total the bookmakers, obviously: collectively, vast amounts in wagers go through their arms on big Las Vegas battle nights and may this bout fail to materialize those bets could have become returned.
Meanwhile, Molina’s opponent is wanting to keep a clear head: ‘When I first heard it, I didn’t think it,’ said Charlo. ‘I thought my trainer [Ronnie Shields] had been kidding. But I’m going to help keep doing everything the same way as if we will fight. I’m going to stay focused. I want in which to stay form. I’m not going to be distracted.’
Downtown Grand Sued When Man Loses $500K in Alleged Blackout State
52-year-old Mark Johnston from Los Angeles is suing the Downtown Grand in Las Vegas, after losing $500K wagering on Super Bowl weekend. Johnston claims he was blacked out and didn’t know exactly what he was doing. (Image: CNN)
Did you do have a Super that is rough Bowl, wagering-wise? Perhaps you bet regarding the Broncos, or possibly the blowout took most of the life out of your Super Bowl celebration. In any case might be, then you didn’t have the kind of issues faced by one severe gambler in Las Vegas, whom states he lost $500,000 over that weekend while he had been far too inebriated to know very well what he had been doing.
Blackout Drunk Continued to Wager
That man Mark that is 52-year-old Johnston from Los Angeles claims that the Downtown Grand in Las Vegas’ Fremont Street area permitted him to gamble while he ended up being clearly drunk; blackout drunk, according to their own assessment. That lead to him losing half of a million dollars at the pai blackjack and gow tables.
‘I feel they picked my pockets,’ said Johnston, a retiree from Ca. ‘I feel you reach in his pockets and grab all his money like they took a drunk guy…like a drunk guy walking down the street, and.
‘I am not just a loser that is sore. I have lost fifty per cent of a million. I’ve lost 800,000. I’ve lost a complete lot of money. This has nothing to do with that. Demonstrably I can afford what I destroyed,’ said Johnston, who nevertheless will not classify himself as a ‘whale’ the industry term for a high-roller.
Johnston previously owned A california that is southern car, and now owns a Mercedes-Benz worth $250,000; making his modesty regarding his gambling status a tad disingenuous.
Although he claims he has perhaps not blacked out previously, he also claims to have been served 20-30 products, making one wonder how he can keep in mind that, however his gambling play per se. However the rich aren’t richer than we have been because they are doingn’t know how to play hardball, and Johnston is no exception to that particular rule; he appears happy to relax and play the victim card in this scenario.
‘This is approximately you nearly killing me. What in me, and I threw up on myself and I choked and died?’ Johnston said, with a dramatic flair that we can only admire from afar if I had gone to bed that night, with all those drinks. That being stated, even he fesses up to having had as 10 beverages while planing a trip to Vegas and in the limo before he even hit the video gaming floor.
‘ My responsibility is, look, some drinks were had by me during the airport, on the air plane. At some true point, that’s my duty,’ the gambler stated. ‘The unfortunate part about it for them is, they will have a bigger obligation than i actually do.’
Based on Johnston’s attorney Sean Lyttle, The Grand is countersuing in an attempt to collect their customer’s debts; although other media sources have actually reported that the casino has offered to settle at a 20 percent discount $400K but that Johnston refuses to go that route. Meanwhile, Johnston has placed a stop-payment order regarding the debt payments The Grand had been trying to collect, and is particularly suing them for damaging his reputation.
Nevada Law Puts Onus on Casinos
It ends up that per Nevada legislation casinos are, in reality, prohibited from allowing visibly drunk gamblers from continuing to wager cash. They’re also supposed to cut off the free drinks after they can inform somebody has had one a lot of. The grey area here might be who determines what comprises just how many, and by what criteria. After all, if Johnston surely could place wagers even in a blackout state, he might be in as he claims how was the casino to know what impaired state?
However, regulatory authorities are taking the case quite seriously. So while The Grand doesn’t comment on pending litigation, Nevada’s Gaming Control Board is apparently investigating the case one that Lyttle says is quite uncommon.
‘It’s certainly an extraordinary case,’ Lyttle stated. ‘ This is not a whole tale that I’ve ever heard before, where someone was blackout intoxicated where they could not read their cards, yet a casino continued to serve them drinks and issue them more markers. It’s an extremely heavy-handed and unusual approach that we have actuallyn’t seen in this town in a long time.’
According to Johnston, he is a typical in nevada and was invited to The Grand for Super Bowl along with his girlfriend, though he mostly gambled on his own weekend. His lawsuit alleges that The Grand provided him a large number of free drinks after he’d already been drinking at supper, and that he didn’t realize how much he had lost until Sunday.
While Johnston lost big over Super Bowl weekend, he wasn’t the only one. With most of the public money on the Broncos, the Nevada sportsbooks won nearly $20 million from gamblers regarding the NFL’s championship game this year following a record amount of betting.